Raytheon Intelligence & Space is seeking a Mechanical Engineer
to support multiple space programs in El Segundo, CA. The Senior
Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for understanding
design requirements, coordinating mechanical design, preparing
design reviews, and presenting engineering information to Raytheon
leadership, customer management, and consultants. The Senior
Principal Mechanical Engineer is a motivated self-starter who can
manage complex projects, work with and lead other engineers to
resolve technical problems and establish approaches for solutions.
The mechanical design and build effort will be for electro-optical
sensor assemblies with considerations in thermal and structural
performance in vacuum and cryogenic environments. Experience in all
aspects of opto-mechanical design for space based products is
The ideal candidate for this position will have broad
engineering knowledge capable of leading a cross-functional
engineering and analysis team from a strong technical background
involving material selection, optical layout, thermal management,
precision mechanical mounting and motion, and structural
optimization while balancing against cost and schedule constraints.
The qualified candidate will possess good communication and teaming
skills, and will provide direction and consultation on mechanical
issues and be responsible for technical work performed by junior
level engineers. The candidate will assist in generating proposals
and will provide innovative mechanical design and manufacturing
Job Related Activities:
* Leading a team that is responsible for the design,
documentation, and implementation of space EO mechanical hardware
that meets program objectives and requirements.
* Actively work with Program Management, Systems Engineering,
and Customers to develop and manage objectives and requirements for
related pursuits and projects.
* Leading the management of subcontractors required for the
development of EO related equipment.
* Comply with Export/Import (EX/IM) regulations and policies and
support Jurisdiction Classification Assessments (JCAs) as
* Ensure the consistent application of engineering best
practices and that all activities undertaken under your control are
conducted to common standards in accordance with Raytheon's
* Minimum of 8 years of professional mechanical engineering
* Hands on experience in development of space products from
concept to production release.
* Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
* Extensive experience with Creo or similar CAD tool.
* Experience with complex mechanical design, manufacture and
* Proficiency with GD&T and tolerance analysis.
* Experience working on Integrated Product Teams in some
* Position will require an active SSBI and/or TS/SCI
* U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will
require the ability to access US only data systems.
* Proven hardware experience in space electro-optical
* Knowledge in the design of cryogenic infrared sensors.
* Experience as a Technical Lead on a product line or business
area and viewed as an expert within a program or functional
* Experience working with customers as the technical point
contact and instrumental in attracting and obtaining major new
* Knowledge in Earned Value Management System.
Required Education (Including major):
* Must have Bachelor's Degree from an ABET accredited university
with a major in Mechanical Engineering or other related STEM
* Graduate degree in a related field.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, or protected Veteran status.